Nascar Fanaddicts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kenseth wins Daytona 500

Go down

Kenseth wins  Daytona 500 Empty Kenseth wins Daytona 500

Post  The Wicked One Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:38 am

The rain was coming, and Matt Kenseth knew it was time to get going. It was the Daytona 500, a race where drivers wait until the very end to make their big move for NASCAR's biggest prize. Only this time, nobody knew when the end would be.

The rain that had threatened Sunday's season-opening race all day finally rolled in moments after Kenseth slid past Elliott Sadler for the lead. Then the former NASCAR champion was forced to sit out a 20-minute delay before claiming victory after 152 of 200 laps. It was just the fourth rain-shortened 500 in the race's 51-year history, and first since Michael Waltrip's 2003 victory.

"It's going to be really wet out here, because I'm crying like a baby," the usually cool Kenseth said as he choked back tears.

Coming off one of the worst seasons of his career, Kenseth's 2009 start seemed to be headed in the wrong direction, too. He wrecked his primary car, had to go to a backup and started at the back Sunday.

Had rain not been forecast, he might still have been running at the back of the field with 54 laps to go, because that's where veterans usually wait out the dicey Daytona racing before making a late charge.

But the weather radar showed the rain was coming, and crew chiefs up and down pit road urged their drivers to go for it.

Kenseth sliced his way through the field, then used a huge push from Kevin Harvick to take the lead from Sadler. A caution came out moments later for a spin by Aric Almirola, and the sky opened up about the same time.

After two laps under caution, NASCAR stopped the race and brought the drivers to pit road. Most climbed from their cars to await NASCAR's decision.

Kenseth did not, choosing instead to sit silently inside his Ford away from his nervous supporters. He began to cry when NASCAR gave him the victory, his first in the Daytona 500 and first since the 2007 season finale.

It was also the first Daytona 500 win for team owner Jack Roush.

"I tell you what, after last year, winning a race means a lot to me," Kenseth said. "I've had a lot of great opportunities in my life — from my family getting me in racing and really ... all the sponsors that we have that have stuck by us and made this happen in an up-and-down economy.

"Man, I don't know. Winning the Daytona 500 is definitely a dream moment. It's just an unbelievable feeling."
The Wicked One
The Wicked One
Ringer
Ringer

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum